Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Upcoming: John Scofield & Piety Street Band feat. George Porter Jr. & Jon Cleary @ BB King's (4/5)

HALF PRICE TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE HERE.


JOHN SCOFIELD + THE PIETY STREET BAND
Featuring:
John Scofield (guitar)
Jon Cleary (keyboards)
George Porter Jr. (bass)
Ricky Fataar (drums)
2009-04-05
8:00PM



In introducing this all new group for 2009, John forges a connection from jazz to blues to gospel. "I've always wanted to record and tour a blues project...that's where I started as a guitarist and I'm feeling that music more than ever of late. My jazz is funky, my funk is jazzy and R&B flavors run through it."


"I'm just shifting the balance for this one and I am really excited to be making music with Jon Cleary (Boonie Raitt), the legendary George Porter, Jr. (The Meters) and Ricky Fataar (Bonnie Raitt, Beach Boys)."


"Inspired by the songs of Thomas A. Dorsey and Mahalia Jackson, we've got all the swing and blues needed to finally make a REAL jazz/funk fusion project. This is a notion that's been gelling in my mind for decades. I launched a personal search for musical inspiration beyond the standard 12 bar blues, looking for other chord progressions. I found them in "old time gospel" music - the closest relative to and inspiration for the R&B that we all know and love. It's really powerful stuff."


"Of course, whether it's jazz, rock, R&B or gospel it always comes out my way."

No comments: