Thursday, February 21, 2008

NolaFunk Lagniappe

Top Ten New Orleans Funk Jams


"The artists of New Orleans’ thriving funk scene during the 60s and early 70s took the sounds that filtered through the port town from the West Indies, Africa, Haiti and France and weaved them into an entrancing gumbo that’s excellent for dancing. Lee Dorsey, Allen Toussaint, The Meters, Dr John, Betty Harris… none of this lot are going to beat the fuck out of their lover. Their lover might dog them, but they’ll carry on regardless, singing songs of heartbreak whilst they do the washing up. And when their lover comes back to them… it’s time to dance. The ten songs here all make us want to either cry, hit the dance floor, or, on more than one occasion, both."


Cyril Neville Talks Back

"I love New Orleans. Everything about me as far as an entertainer and as far as an individual is concerned, was forged right there in New Orleans. I came of age during the ’60s. I was 12 years old in 1960 when the second battle of New Orleans started for the desegregation of the schools. That was the pressure cooker that I came up in the ’60s and ’70s. Even though I caught holy hell, I still love New Orleans. That’s my home. Always has been and always will be. You can take me out of New Orleans, but you can never take New Orleans out of me. I still wake up at 3:30 in the morning almost three years down the line from Katrina wishing I could get up like I used to get up and drive to Orleans and Claiborne to get me some wings, or drive to the gas station around the corner and get me two Hubig's Pies."




Honoring a Legend: A Tribute to Mr. John Brunious

"John Brunious was one of the most respected and inspiring trumpet players that has ever come out of New Orleans. He was dedicated to his instrument and to sharing his love of traditional New Orleans Jazz. He wanted to preserve this music not only for today, but for generations to come. John loved his family, his music, and his many friends and fans. On a personal note, he was a generous, good man and a dear friend, and we loved him. We will miss his humor, great stories, and his presence in our lives."


Lifetime Achievement in Music: Wardell Quezergue


“We had an office on Orleans Avenue and he came in and he said ‘Quiz’—he used to call me Quiz—he said, ‘I have something I want you to hear. I want you to record this on me.’ ‘Okay, let me hear it.’ He started to diddle with his hands on my desk—dump de-dump dump dump diddle ump de-dump dump dump. I said, ‘That’s a good beat.’ Where’s the melody?’ He said, ‘That’s where you come in!’ So while he was doing that, I had to come up with the melody to go with the beat. He was the drummer on ‘Big Chief.’ He hit that drum so hard, he had blood coming out between his thumb and forefinger.”




Home of the Groove's "Tami Lynn's Unlikely Hit Had A Funky Flip"

Produced by prolific songwriter and hit-maker Bert Berns in New York City, and originally issued in the US on ATCO (#6342) in 1965, this single was not a success for Tami Lynn at the time. But in 1971, a British producer, John Abbey, re-discovered it and was responsible for releasing the record in Great Britain on the Mojo label, part of the Polydor group. Due to enthusiastic response on the Northern Soul scene, the A-side, "I'm Gonna Run Away From You", became a hit, staying on the charts for over a year, and making the experienced but unknown jazz singer a sudden pop star in that country.


Top CDs from 2007

At the beginning of the New Year many show hosts on WWOZ take a look back at some of their favorites CDs from the previous year.


Meet WWOZ host George Ingmire





"Gambit honored George Ingmire, host of the Wednesday New Orleans Music Show, as one of the city's top movers and shakers in the publication's recent listing of 40 under 40. But there is a lot more to this Virginia native. George is a walking encyclopedia of local music fact and fiction, able to distill obscure historical and/or musical threads and weave them into compelling narrative musical adventures."


A Confederacy of New Orleans Characters

"Dr. John, the New Orleans piano professor, told me in an interview a few years ago, "N'awlins has always had a lotta characters," pronouncing the word in his own funky brogue as "CHAR-AC-ters."

"Lemme put it to ya this way, if I had two Bourbon Street strippers and a roofer right now, I'd keep the roofer."








Jazzy Joint:$15M Music Hall of Fame to retune Rampart

Jerome “PopAgee” Johnson will turn the old Eagle Saloon on Rampart Street into the New Orleans Music Hall of Fame.



New Orleans Music Hall of Fame Website

No comments: